Consumer-led innovation teams have been established in different divisions and regions across the world and are at the forefront of innovation and new value creation within Samsung Electronics. These teams aim at realising the vision of Samsung Electronics for a new age in technology: the Age of Experience. The Age of Experience will be defined by personalised technology that meets the needs of the consumers.
The Experience & Insight Lab (E&I Lab) is housed within Samsung Research, the advanced Research and Development (R&D) hub of Samsung Electronics’ SET (End-products) Business which includes Consumer Electronics (CE) Division and IT & Mobile Communications (IM) Division. This R&D hub leads the development of future technologies. The E&I Lab is a worldwide entity comprising a global team headquartered in Korea and local teams, including a team based at Samsung Research America in California.
The role of the E&I Lab is to design new service concepts that can harness the R&D capabilities of Samsung Research via a “Consumer-led” approach, starting with consumer values, behaviours and aspirations. Ultimately, the E&I Lab will incubate new services that provide customers with innovative new experiences and create future business opportunities for Samsung Electronics over the next few years.
The role of a Creative technologist is to have a deep understanding of modern technology and think creatively about how to use the technology in an innovative way to help resolve human needs.
A Creative technologist needs to have a creative designer mindset to expand and discover problems and solutions rather than converging to a one specific solution.
Role and Responsibilities
- Drive platform research and experimentation, concept exploration, prototyping, and ideation within the creative process for designing user experiences in software and services delivered through modern web technologies
- Identify new opportunities and business value for UX innovation and differentiation with technology enablers
- Bridge the gap between design and technology by providing technical guidance during the design process to facilitate innovation
Skills and Qualifications
- Strong understanding of design thinking
- Educated to degree level in Product Design/Design Engineering, SW and HW, Mech Engineering, and/or work experience of equivalent
- Strong understanding of design principles and experience design best practices and their applications
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience in product engineering or consulting roles
- Must demonstrate creative innovative approach and hands-on competency to design and manufacture
- Knowledge of current design software and techniques in both 2D and 3D
- Ability to lead the prototyping of new concepts in both physical and digital design
- Comfortable in working with User Interaction workflow and giving input into User Experience design
- Ability to work and communicate with other design and business functions
- Must be highly creative, innovative and consumer minded
- Must have a point of view on different product categories, both now and moving into the future, and be able to inspire colleagues with differentiated thinking
- Must have excellent presentation skills
- Should be comfortable thinking in terms of contributing to the growth of the team and at times there may be a necessity to consider the team over the individual
- Should be comfortable dealing with ambiguity and last minute changes
Tools and Essential Soft Skills
- Must have experience working with manufacturers to produce accurate BOM costs for production based on CAD data
- Hands on experience in tools for integrating a new technology into a digital product solution with SW/HW product requirements
- Ability to participate as an active member in creative workshops and ideation sessions
- Hands-on approach, flexible attitude and are comfortable experimenting with new ways of working
- Willing to work in a flat organisation where hierarchy is not overtly felt
- Ability to manage an individual in terms of mentorship and career path
- Ability to retain relationships with our internal stakeholders. The creation and maintenance of productive relationships with both the team and the business through the identification of strategic aims and areas to grow
- Track record of developing new techniques and processes to audit technologies
- Ideally experience of the consumer electronics market but this is not mandatory
- Also desirable to have project and agency management experience